Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sea Glass!

Soooo, I just figured out I could title blog posts (I know, I'm dopey) so I'll have to start doing that.... Well, Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone! Enjoy your piles of food, funny commercials, and time with some friends and family. Oh yeah, and that football part. And for those of you who don't give a crap about it, Happy Normal Sunday, make it a relaxing one!

As my first-ever title suggests, this post will be mostly about sea glass (duh). Let's start with my attempts to drill holes in sea glass with a Dremel (hand-held drill tool). Things I learned: 1. They are a little loud and annoying to listen to, so if you're in a dorm with lots of people in rooms nearby, make sure they don't hate you 2. Water is a MUST!! -I learned this the hard way. I attached one of my new diamond drill bits into the Dremel, and started to drill, only to literally burn the tip down, as well as snap the glass in half. Continually putting water on the glass will keep it from getting too hot 3. It takes awhile. It might take a few minutes to drill through a piece, even if it's fairly thin, so don't get discouraged that it's not working. In the end, I only drilled a hole in one piece, and I still need TONS of practice, but it still felt so good to finally be successful and see all that hard work accomplish something!

Another topic I wanted to talk about is the rock tumbler I have sitting in the middle of my dorm room that's been on for the last 2 days. Surprisingly, it's not very loud! It's like a white noise machine, and with a bucket over it, it's really easy to forget it's even on. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it'll need at least a few more days, it not more, to actually make sea glass from the broken bottles I put in there.  After a day I could definitely see that the edges were not sharp anymore, but other than that the process is sure taking its sweet time! I'm hoping (if it works) to start using my own tumbled sea glass to make items, since real sea glass tends to be very expensive.

All in all, sea glass and me haven't been getting along too well lately. But don't worry, I'm confident that'll change soon. I have some ideas in the works, and I'll be sure to share once it's done! Next post I'll be talking about felting (very exciting!) so make sure to check back in soon :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, sounds frustrating. I can just imagine trying to pour water on something while drilling it. Sounds just like how they do that kind of thing on an industrial level. Anyway I hadn't seen the post with those turtle mittens - those are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought about making David help me by pouring, but I wasn't doing too bad by myself, haha. And thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it help if you put something else in the rock tumbler along with the glass? Rocks or sand...? Maybe you're already doing this, but it might speed things along. Keep up the posts, and I hope you have more luck with the drill as you get more practice. I like the idea of making David help :)
    (This is Melody by the way-- my name doesn't seem to show up with my comments for some reason!)

    ReplyDelete